Sunday, July 1, 2018

Insert Bishop said to other person punchline here - Matso's Bishop's Best


I've heard some pretty good things about the brews coming out of Matso's (especially their Mango beer) but would my one on one with the Bishop here go down in as one of the best catch ups with someone in a big hat I've ever had? (Not that I can recall many conversations with anyone in a big hat, but you get my drift..)

Pop the lid your holiness and let's go!




My dear old mum was in town to celebrate her birthday so in preparation I popped down to Uncle Dan's and picked up a couple of bottles of Sav Blanc that she loves. Then I figured a couple of bottles of Cab Merlot wouldn't go astray for yours truly (it's been a while between reds and I do like an occasional red on top of the usual hops and malty stuff) and while I was stocking up on red, I figured it wouldn't hurt to add a brew to the box of goodies and so I walked out with the Bishop.

So last night in the countdown to my wife's amazing smelling roast pork coming out of the oven, I knocked off the lid and got down to business.

What am I smelling here?: Strangely not much. At first I figured it might be because of the eternally on again off again sneeze attacks I've been having recently that have been blocking up my nose - but then I realised I could smell the pork a mile off and can't smell anything in the glass directly under my nostrils. Strange.


Initial thoughts: It looks a little like the Tui in terms of colour however the head hangs around a little longer this time. Still can't smell anything. The label tells me that I'm headed for coffee, chocolate and caramel and all I'm getting is cold coffee that's a little watery, like an ice coffee without milk, sugar, double the ice and half the coffee. It's not bitter but the Bishop here is certainly not lighting any fires.

Overall: It's watery, doesn't smell like much and the whole experience was pretty underwhelming honestly. While the colour is great the rest of the experience is a bit lacklustre. It's a step above the Tui linked earlier...but that's not saying much really.
Sorry Bishop but it sounds like you're phoning in this one.

2 out of 5 Sunday Sermons

No comments:

Post a Comment