Saturday, July 1, 2017

Holiday beer 9: Sample Lager - Job done now get back to work

Like all good things my holidays and the conga line of beers I lined up for it had to come to an end somehow. And in our final salute to our annual time off, we sampled the Sample.

Holidays done, cheers!

Ahh Collingwood, a place right along my old stomping ground of Richmond where I worked my way through favourite drinks every couple of years (first bourbon and cokes, then vodka lime and soda's, always wine and now returning to beer as well) - that's where this beer hails from. Home of The Collingwood football club, a couple of memorable pubs that time has now forgot (sadly) and at time me, usually trying to work out how to bluff my way with people at the bottle shops so they wouldn't ask me for ID.

#goodtimes

So like the Keepers Lager, would this Sample Lager make me reminisce about the good ole days, those smoky back rooms in various pubs and the girls I tried to chase who were well and truly out of my league?

Ahh...no. But points for trying.

HOW MUCH DID IT SET YOU BACK?: $4.70 from first choice. That gold lettering isn't cheap you know!

INITIAL THOUGHTS: A bit of a floral smell - nowhere near as powerful as the Fig Jam but it's there. A hint of sweetness at the tip of the tongue but it's very light taste the rest of it. It tastes like a stock standard Pale Lager that will fill that pale lager shaped hole in your lift but probably not blow your socks off in the process. Well mine stayed on while drinking it anyway.

OVERALL: You know how there's top name tools you can buy for a job that will do the job right out of the box? Well this is the no named tool that does exactly the same thing. If someone said 'Pick a beer that fits the Pale Lager section of the market without lighting any fires' then this would do the job just fine. Like the label it's simple and it works.
And sometimes you just want a beer that doesn't try to set the world on fire...

3 out of 5 registered days off.



No comments:

Post a Comment