Wednesday, June 6, 2018

One twisted bbq - Burleigh Brewing Twisted Palm

It's been quite a while between beer reviews, it truly has. I've been busy working my way through my very first home brew (and wasn't that a sad day when I drank the last one of the batch?) and I've also been turning my hand to attempting some home made sake! (More about that in a future post.)

But finally there was a Saturday night when the bbq got the dust blown off it, some pork rasher was sliced and diced into bbqable bites and while they and the sweet potato was sizzling away, I tucked into a mango.



I mean a Burleigh Brewing Twisted Palm Tropical Pale Ale.
Which had plenty of the aforementioned mango action going on.


Now did I mention that I'm not actually a fan of mango? It doesn't hold a position in my top ten fruits of all time (come to think of it I've never actually finalised that list...but mango won't be on it.) I'm not a fan of the taste, the texture, not much about it really. Which is strange to say for a guy based in Queensland but it doesn't usually track well with me.

So how would a a beer with plenty of tropical fruit overtones, especially mango, rate with yours truly?

Let's get into it before this bbq grows cold.



What am I smelling here?: You know when you order a Corona with either lemon or lime in the neck and that's the first thing you smell when you lift it to your lips? It's mango in this case. It smells like a fresh slice of mango wedged into it.

Initial thoughts: Thank god it's not entirely mango, more like a refreshing beer with mango overtones. While the head fades away quicker than reading this sentence, this bubbly easy drinking brew does go down well. It's fruity and not too sweet with nothing that really lingers afterwards. Definitely no feeling of instantly wanting another straight after however.

Overall: If you love a light mango, you'll enjoy this. My unwanted fruit aside, it's nice easy drinking while turning pork over on the bbq. A repeat performance? Not for me but still refreshing in the end. I still rate their IPA as their top drop so far.

3 out of 5 regional fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment