Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Bridge Road Chevalier Saison - down a different path

It's been a great opportunity over the last 12 and a bit months to try a few different styles of brew and see what I like. Things like IPAs and Hefeweizens are pretty high on the list (can't wait to get into a neipa) - but after trying a Saison for the first time ever, where does this now fit on the styles list?



It was an interesting experience..

Having never tried this particular style before I did a little reading on to what to expect and I think this was the highlight:

'You'll either love the style of hate it..'

Well that sounds promising, let's get into it!

What am I smelling here?: Sour white wine grapes and a hint of ash. It doesn't smell like anything I've had before.

Initial thoughts: There is a lot of stuff going on here. It's bitter and tart, rustic with dry apple flavors and acidic sensations. Like the smell, it's nothing like I've ever tried before.



Overall: I honestly don't know where to go with this one. Drinking it makes me picture a home brew setup in the back of a barn in European fruit country so in that regard, it works well. Being completely different to everything Ive tried so far and having nothing to compare it to, I can only fall back to the basic questions.

Was it drinkable? Yes.
Was is memorable? Yes.
Would you go for another one straight after the first? No, but that's just me.

Try it yourself and see what you think. For now I'll reserve a score for when I have something to match it up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment