Friday, February 9, 2018

Hef wheat beer - the brew with the fine mustache

Now I remember drinking one of these many moons ago (it's difficult to forget that the bottle had a mustache on it) only I had no idea it was from Burleigh Brewing, makers of that damn fine Fig Jam IPA. Of course I only remembered the mo and nothing about the contents of the bottle so I'm happy it popped up Dan Murphey's ready for round two.


The Hef is short for Hefeweizen, an unfiltered German wheat beer. Which goes a long way in explaining why it looks like you've just poured yourself a fine vessel of very cloudy apple juice.


Would it taste like a bucket full of apples though? Let's sip and see shall we?

What am I smelling here?: Wheat, slight caramel and a smell that I couldn't quite put my finger on until much later, bubble gum.

Initial thoughts: This one is a very different style of brew to what I've been drinking as of late. Firstly, it's slightly creamy - nowhere near in the creamy stakes to the Blue Moon, but it's there. Secondly each sip will start with that creamy mouth feel but then will quickly morph into a quite different slightly cider like acidity with flavors of fruit (mostly bananas) and a hint of bread. It's different and strange in a good way. Coupled with a couple of episodes of Altered Carbon (Netflix, I'm quite impressed by your work recently) and it was a great way to say goodbye Friday and hello weekend.

Overall: It's truly strange that I don't remember this one in the slightest (save for the cookie duster on the bottle) because it definitely is different. From the smells to the change of flavors at every turn, this one is a fantastic step away from what you usually drink in order to try something new. Very refreshing too. Is it my new style of beer? No - but it made great Friday night drinking.

3.75 out of 5 hairy bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment