Monday, January 22, 2018

McCracken Amber Ale - I think I'm being watched..

I'm not one of those airline passengers who turns up with mere seconds to spare, bolts down the massive walkway in Terminal 4 at Tullermarine and throws themselves into a plane a split second before takeoff. No I turn up early. Sometimes way to early. But I figure it's a great opportunity to have a slightly expensive but relaxing brew or two at one of the bars and watch the planes come in. This time around I think though I'm also on that list of things intestering enough to keep tabs on..



Now ages ago I tried a McCracken Amber Ale but racking my brain, I couldn't remember if it feel into the good, bad or ugly categories. So one pot later I realise that the reason I don't remember it at all is that it's completely forgettable. Ahh. Fair enough then.

A couple of sips into it and it got the snap onto Instagram treatment where I explained it tasted like a cardboard sandwich. A few minutes later a bartender (not the same one who served me) passed by the table and asked which one it was that I was drinking, the pale or the amber ale?
Amber I explained and he walked off leaving me slightly puzzled. Was someone in there keen to buy me another? (This didn't happen.) Was he keen to buy me one? (This also didn't happen.) Was someone who worked there on social media and curious to know who described the amber ale as likened to a pretty awful idea for a sandwich?
Nothing happened after that so I'm still wondering why the random question. I was (and am currently for this post) using the airport wifi - do they employ someone watching out for non favorable beer reviews?
Hope they enjoy this one then..

What can I smell?: A ghost of a passing banana

Initial thoughts: Lovely colour (if my first home brew looks like this I'll be super proud) but it's dry in a 'I've just polished off a whole box of crackers' dry. Biscuity malt with a very dry finish and a very slight metallic copper taste. Slightly watering with a cardboard finish. Completely unappealing.

Overall: I don't think third time will be a charm in this case as I'm not trying it again. Forgettable the first time, awful the second.
Thankfully no wild seductress sent over another one otherwise I might have to send it back.
It's a no for me.

1.75 out of 5 random offers in an airport bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment