Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Sail and Anchor Pale Ale - The sea, she be an angry bitch tonight

It was one of those days where it rained so hard and heavy, all you wanted to do was be inside. But nay, I had to work so it was a fun drive to and from work in the torrential downpour, capped off while trying not to drown myself in the lashing rain while piloting the BBQ.

True sailing is dead?

Did I mention that it truly would have been a terrible day for sailing? Well it would have been. So not being a sailor (at all) I settled for the next best thing. A home made burger and a bottle of Sail and Anchor. Could this brew lift the spirits of my crew (consisting of just me) in the face of truly terrible conditions? Let's find out!




GEEZ YOU'RE LOVING YOUR BBQ AREN'T YOU?: Indeed I truly am. Bought for a measly $80 (and then I spent a bit more than that on replacement bits and pieces) it's brought countless joy and fried bits of meat to my family since I spent a decent weekend bringing it back to life. (You can check out the full adventure here: Operation BBQ Resurrection. )

THE TITLE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THE SEA BEING AN ANGRY BITCH?: Where I work I get to park near the beach and 9 times out of ten you can't hear it from the car park. This particular day, she was roaring. Like an angry lion. So in a brief moment of calm from the rain, I popped down to snap a terrible Instagram moment.


RIGHTIO THEN SAILOR, BACK TO THE BREW. DOES IT SMELL LIKE THE SEA?: Thankfully no. Not even a hint of the briny deep. There is a strong fruit element here thought with a slight waft of lemon.

INITIAL THOUGHTS: Nice and fresh, fruity and a bit of malt in there for good measure. A nice medium back end to this one too. Nicely balanced with a decent bit of flavor. Slight appeal for a repeat performance.

OVERALL: Look if I was stuck in a boat with just a small batch of brew for company to help ride out the choppy waters with, I would be quite happily for this brew to ride along. It's a nice mix, easy to drink and while it doesn't have that 'Race to the fridge, I must ingest another of these right now' finish to it there's really not much I can find fault with here. It hasn't convinced me to go sailing though which in all honesty is probably a good thing...

3.75 Salty Sailors Slinging Sails out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment