Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Green Beacon Wayfarer - a hoppy punch right into the heart of your back pocket

I needed to pass time at the airport and figured a nice cold brew in the airport lounge would do the trick just nicely. The beer I picked was delicious but boy did I end up paying for it...*



* Literally, not figuratively. No it didn't make me curl up in the bathroom where I remained in severe pain due to 12 hour stomach cramps - I'm talking that I was offered a choice of a pot or a pint of the stuff and payed $9 for the smaller option.

$9 for a pot of beer? Seriously? For that I could buy two full cans/bottles of brews I've never tried. Or even one Fig Jam and a small bag of chips to enjoy it with. And the guy serving me at Brisbane airport seemed so happy when he revealed the price too - he must receive a cut of every overpriced beer served to suckers like me.

The only pic of the brew I snapped, getting far too engrossed in the comic my lovely wife snuck into my bag. She knows me way too well..


I mean it was a great drop...but nine bucks?

What am I smelling here?: Aside from jet fuel? A tonne of hops. Fruity Hoppy hoppy hops like someone wrapped their hands in hops and then slapped your unsuspecting face. A whiff of banana.

What am I tasting here?: A tonne of hops. But it also has a nice wheaty finish and a dash of fruit to it.

Initial thoughts: My god, the price...moving on: Very pale straw color, hardly any bubbles, not a bad head, a touch of sweetness after the hops and wheat combo, quite a few things going on here but they're all enjoyable, insanely drinkable.

Overall: Stupidly enjoyable. It's different, it's refreshing and as soon as you finish one you immediately want another (just like the Brooklyn Lager and Pirate Life). However don't make the mistake of drinking it at an airport lounge unless you can afford your own aircraft. Now to find a source locally..

4.35 out of 5 airport lounges

No comments:

Post a Comment