Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Holiday beers: 4 more aiming for a high score

While there's still a few days of my holidays left, sadly my brew supply has run dry. So it was off to the closest First Choice liquor store and their limited beer selection to rectify this problem immediately. Here's what ended up in the shopping bag this time around for the next couple of days of sampling, tasting and hopefully enjoying..




It was a miserable wet and rainy afternoon today when I walked into the store but thankfully the guy manning the shop was very happy...because it was a miserable wet and rainy afternoon today.

"We don't get much rain up here, so I enjoy it when we do..."

Fair enough then.

Now maybe it was because today's a Monday and they hadn't restocked the shelves after a busy weekend or perhaps more people in this particular suburb partake in more grapes than malt and hops but whatever the reason, the beer shelf really didn't light my world on fire with its selection.
However I did walk away with some newbies to try and here's what I know about the future beers on the tasting block:

GLOBE BREWING COMPANY PREMIUM DRAUGHT - Now maybe it's the name of the company (reminds me of two things 1: Global Force Wrestling and 2. International Roast Coffee - both which are pretty awful) or perhaps it's the tag line 'Drink real beer' which has me worried that drinking this won't be enjoyable. Maybe it's the fact that it's the cheapest beer in this set at $2.60 and the store can't wait to get rid of it. But there's something here that really makes me think this South Korean effort could be the dud nag in this horse race. I'm happy to be proved wrong here though...

TSINGTAO - An Asian beer imported over here as opposed to the previous offerings of Asahi Soukai and Kirin that are brewed here under license. Will this be the beer from the East that breaks the bland spell we've been experiencing so far?

SAMPLE LAGER - Is this the name of the beer or an instruction? I supposed 'Sample' is a little classier than 'Chug it down you beer drinking clown' but that's about as much as I know of this brew. So I'm hoping that like the Fig Jam we enjoyed recently that I'll be pleasantly surprised here.

CRICKETERS ARMS KEEPERS LAGER - My history with cricket is not a good one at all. The sport itself bores me to tears and in the one pub game I played it, I managed quite an impressive crash into and flip over my fathers leg when I wasn't watching where I was running and ended up in the local emergency room getting x-rays. Thankfully my leg was fine after a couple of days but it still didn't ignite any passion for the game. Will this brew change that? Highly doubtful - but here's hoping for a tasty drop none the less.

Anyone tried any of the above so far? What did you think? Let me know in a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment