Monday, May 22, 2017

Birra Moretti - Green jacket and hat optional

Ironic isn't it? I had just finished buying the Morninton Lager that I wrote about last week at Dan Murpheys when I got a phone call on the way back to the car. 'Congratulations you've just won firts place in our Mothers Day raffle and part of it is a Dan Murphey's voucher!'

It's off to Italy we go!

Thankfully my lovely wife was feeling generous enough to shout me a quick trip to Italy...

...via a bottle of Bitta Moretti.

Where did I get it?: Dan Murphey's course! (I think it was priced at $3.60 a bottle)

Initial thoughts:
Nothing jumping out from the occasional sniff - the slightest hint of yeast maybe? doesn't announce that you're about to get into a pale lager. Very clean tasting with a nice aftertaste that lingers for a few moments before leaving a very heavy acidic taste in your mouth. Super gold colour. Very bubbly!
Familiar lager taste starts to emerge when it warms up.

It would go well with: crusty bread and extra virgin olive oil. Carbonara. Bruschetta. Cheese. God just writing about all of those amazing things is making me hungry.

Tried it with: Steak. Didn't create a match made in heaven but the flavors of the meat helped combat the slightly heavy after taste and make it slightly more enjoyable. Steak wasn't bad either, I gave that 3.5 out of 5.

Did it make me think of Italy?: Not really.

How's your Italian?: Terrible. Gracis.

Overall: Nothing too exciting especially on it's own but I reckon it'd really come to play on an afternoon of good food and good company. Given the heavy after taste though I'd probably want to try something else after the second one. Some people rave about it, some say it's okay and perfectly drinkable - for me my vote swings towards the later. Good for a try but it's not jumping off the page like other beers I've had so far.

Score: 2.75 out of 5 freshly made pizza bases by itself, 3.25 with food on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment