Monday, January 22, 2018

Fat Yak original pale ale - diffuse it with a Yak.

Maybe I skipped my calling as a police negotiator because on Friday I managed to diffuse an angry situation with some beer chat. Okay so the situation wasn't that dramatic (the brother in law was getting grumpy at the service in the restaurant) but I quickly took his mind off things with a couple of quick fire questions about the Great Northern he was drinking. 

'I like the taste' was the best I got out of that conversation with no further detail about what in the taste of the GN he liked so much. There was more talk about how if you look at the back end of the fish on the label and squint hard enough, you can sort of see a bird...

'What do you like about that one then?' he asked pointing at my Fat Yak.
I launched into a few things I was enjoying about the brew that got met with blank looks. Especially when I raved on about nice beers with a decent hit of hops. That got even more of a blank look so I quit the beer chat early and focussed instead on the impending steak sandwich.
Still once again the Yak team proved they can make a decent brew..


So what can I smell here?: malt, slight citrus

Initial thoughts?: a nice mix with a few things going on here. According to the notes in my phone: Lovely bunch of lively flavours, not too Hoppy, tasty back end, full beer flavors, only a touch bitter, meaty, will go well with a steak sandwich.

Overall: a nice mix of things going on, suited the steak sandwich to a tee, plenty to talk about to anyone within earshot that doesn't look at you blankly when you try to explain hops. Reccomended.


4 out of 5 family gatherings.

No comments:

Post a Comment