Friday, January 5, 2018

Beers for the beer god. And a good start to the home brew setup.

Once again Uncle Dan comes up with a another couple of reasons to swing by and say hi...


Now while I'm a member (and captain) of the club at my radio station, it doesn't get me discounts on brews. Thankfully my Dan Murphy's card does and in conjunction with some DM gift cards I scored for xmas, the bargain beers can continue to flow which means the reviews can continue. And although there's a familiar face in this line up, there's also a new player to chat about too.

That lager looks familiar..


Not surprising as Brooklyn Lager scored Best Imported Brew on this page late last year. It was one of the best I drank all year and I couldn't pass up the offer of 6 for just $15. Delicious. I'll have the house to myself for a week too soon on account of the wife taking the kids out of town a week early so my home alone time will be spent waxing lyrical to the dog about how good these brews are. 

What exactly is a radler? 

About ten years ago I took a Contiki trip over to New Zealand for 6 days (not really enough for the truly stupid adventures to begin) and drank jugs of the stuff because it was cheap and stupidly easy to drink. One Maori barman commented 'we usually serve this to women' to which I grunted 'Don't care' and polished off yet another pint of it in record time. A combination of half beer and half lemon lime (some are made with soda and other stuff) - they really come to shine when you are sweating buckets and need a cool drink to chill you down but aren't ready for a full on meaty beer.
I haven't had a radler since Barefoot Radler was floating around and it's just $10 for 6 this month at Dan's so I'm hoping it's just as refreshing as memory serves. 

And I'm keeping the bottles...

...as they're the first part of my home brew setup! Yes I figured the new year was a good a time as any to roll up a sleeve or two and craft a brew or two so a) I can say I have and b) have something to write about along the way and c) fill the fridge full of beer without paying too much. So with these empty bottles along with the big soup pot I bought for my wife years ago, I'm well on my way to creating a very cheap home brewing setup.
Also the radler bottles have a imprinted shovel symbol on them. This is good as the home brew could come out tasting like dirt. Possibly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment