Saturday, January 13, 2018

Balter Pilsner - enjoy it without the airport tax

One of the first thing I promised myself to help celebrate the first few hours of my two week holiday was a good feed and a cold beer while I waited at the airport. The fine dining came from Scales Seafood on the Tweed (amazing flake and chips) while the cold brew came from the airport bar where I paid a premium for a premium. Well actually a Pilsner but you get what I mean.


Yes similar to sipping the highly enjoyable Green Beacon Wayfarer at Brisbane Airport, the Balter Pilsner came with a hefty dose of airport tax. Given a Mars bar at Gold Coast airport will set you back a whopping $3.74, it's no suprise the can on Oils set me back $9.90.

Still it was the first beer once in holiday mode so I grinned and bared the price and then grinned some more as the foamy head started to form. Would the fourth and final installment in the current range of Balter be up to the standards of the XPA?

What am I smelling here?: Some people in the bar that really need to discover deodorant. Coffee on the table next to mine. But the beer has aromas of grain.

Initial thoughts: Nice head, great colour. Got the slightest of slight metallic tinge upon the first sip but then none after that. Nice and crisp without getting too sharp and easy to drink. More bread notes start to appear while it warms. I haven't had too many pilsners in my time so I can't say how it stacks up with others but it's a great drinkable beer.

Overall: Is it up there with the XPA though? It's got a slight 'lets do that again' taste to it but at $9.90 a hit, I switched to coffee out of fear of further damage to my wallet. The XPA I feel is still the king of Mt Balter but this is still a nice beer to while away the hours with...anywhere other than the airport.

3.75 out of 5 ticket stubs.


No comments:

Post a Comment