Friday, August 4, 2017

Burleigh 28 California Pale Ale - Can't move, can't talk, drink beer.

Greetings from the new machine. After a bit of an amusing journey to cobble my new super computer together with bits and pieces from here, there and everywhere I finally have it up and running and to celebrate, let's review The Burleigh 28 California Pale Ale.



Is it worthy of celebration? Well about that...

Now before we get into the guts of this review, let me paint the picture of the condition I was in at the time of sampling: my back was screaming and my throat couldn't scream due to being red raw. Not ideal beer tasting conditions I will agree but that's what happens when you spend your morning fanging around a go kart track and your afternoons interviewing Scottish pop stars who once upon a time performed with Wu Tang.

So my hope for this brew was that it would be calming, soothing and tasty. Their Fig Jam was dynamite so I had high hopes here once again...but this is what happened.

What I can whiff here: It took me a while but I did pick up the notes of passion fruit and grapefruit (there's also notes of lychee in there according to the label but I wouldn't know what one smelt like it if you threw one at me...) It took a bit of warming up before the citrus notes finally appeared.

Initial thoughts: This probably won't help my throat here. Actually possibly no beer could (perhaps a honey wheat beer would be worth a try?) but I digress. Medium bodied with a heavier bitter aftertaste. A bit of a different texture around the mouth too. Interesting. Not tasting much else popping out here.

Overall: I was explaining to a good mate of mine the other night how my simple beer test works. If I finish it and instantly regret only buying the one, that's a decent indication that things are going better than well. I didn't get that indication here. Yes my sore throat didn't help things along but there wasn't much going on here for me to get excited about. Possibly fans of this style will get a kick out of it, but it's not for me.

2.5 out of 5 Limsips.

COURAGEOUS CLASH OF THE CRAFT CLANS SCOREBOARD SO FAR

1. Pirate Life
2. Burleigh 28 

No comments:

Post a Comment